Tuesday, January 3, 2023

A.K. Landow interview on our Podcast








The City of Sisterly Love series follows the romantic lives of a group of strong women in the City of Philadelphia. While each individual love story can be read as a standalone, to fully appreciate a majority of the supporting characters, much of the backstory of the events that take place, and most of the humor, it is highly recommended that you read the books in order.

BUY THEM ON AMAZON!!! 




The Interview Transcript

(Transcript provided by Sonix)

[00:00:09] Toni Kirkland
Welcome to the Hidden Bookshelf Club. Good morning. I am Toni Kirkland with the Hidden Bookshelf Club. And with me today I have
A K Landow.

[00:00:25] A.K. Landow
Landow.

[00:00:26] Toni Kirkland
Landow. I'm awful with names.

[00:00:32] A.K. Landow
My first name is actually even harder for people. So I'm more than used to it.

[00:00:38] Toni Kirkland
Then thank you for using AK.

[00:00:42] A.K. Landow
No problem.

[00:00:43] Toni Kirkland
She is the author of Spicy RomComs. She writes about successful, confident women who are supportive of other smart, successful,
confident women.

[00:00:56] A.K. Landow
That is true. That's important to me.

[00:01:00] Toni Kirkland
Let's see. The beginning of December, her fourth book in her Sisterly love series came out. Can you tell us a little bit about that book?

[00:01:13] A.K. Landow
Sure. It's a little easier if I start from the beginning. Is that all right with you?

[00:01:19] Toni Kirkland
Yeah. You can talk about book One, two, three, four.

[00:01:23] A.K. Landow
Well, you know, I initially got into writing through TL Swan's group, her private group, during COVID. She actually created from her
existing Swann Squad group anyone that was interested in understanding her writing process. So I joined we join her group. And
what she basically did was post videos of her process and it served as a little bit of a kick in the behind to anyone who's had a story
bouncing around in their heads. And we're just afraid to put pen to paper. It was pretty selfless. She did it for free, just something she
wanted to do for other women. And there's actually hundreds probably at this point, thousands of books that have come from that
group. What has always struck me about romance novels is that they're always younger couples, very few characters, especially
female characters over 40. So I actually wrote my original novel Night, about an over 40 couple, just as kind of my little, frankly, an Fyou
to the romance world of that. You know, you still have a life after 40 because I am over 40, and I can promise that. So that's how
that book started. And I really felt I fell in love with my fictitious family. So the second book ended up being about her daughter. The
third book was about her best friend. And then this fourth book that just came out is about one of her other daughters, and she's the
very, very precocious daughter. She's funny, she's aggressive, she's successful. She has her own business. This story is a fake
dating friends to Lovers Trope book, where she joins forces with the father of her sort of enemy, I'm sorry, the son of her sort of
enemy, because they have a common goal in defeating him. And then they obviously eventually fall for one another. But it's it's she
helps him through his journey of maturation, which I also feel is a little off the beat track of romance novels. Usually it's the females
growth, but I really try to flip the switch in that regard in my books.

[00:03:48] Toni Kirkland
That's awesome. So. Even though the characters are all related, do you have to read the books in a certain order to understand? Or
can each one stand alone to?

[00:04:01] A.K. Landow
They can stand alone. And I do have readers that enjoy them seeing that standalones, I suggest reading them in order because,
look, you've already fallen in love with the character, the characters. The female main character's name is Raegan Lawrence in the
fourth novel, and she she has such a big presence in the first three books, especially the second, which is her sister's love story. I
would love for people to go in already loving her and understanding her and, you know, the family dynamics as well. You know,
there's pretty much the trademark of my books in terms of the last apartment revolve around oversharing family dinners. Which.
Come straight from my own family. And, you know, morning after interruption means they walk in on each other. It's a constant theme
in my books. So, you know, you understand the jokes better in the fourth book. That being said, I have plenty of people who have
simply read the fourth book and love it. So, no, you don't have to. I recommend it. The fifth book in the series will be out in February,
and I'm trying to write that as a little bit more of a stand alone, although again, it's better to read the earlier books. But you you don't
have to.

[00:05:24] Toni Kirkland
That's good to know. Yeah, I like to read. Even as standalone series. I like to read from the beginning because I understand that
whole following through with the dynamics of the family and learning things from the first book that follow into the fifth book.

[00:05:44] A.K. Landow
It's just more enjoyable, I think if you if you read them in order. But. Don't have to. It actually makes me happy when somebody says,
Oh, I love your book. I'm going to go back and read the first three now. Like, Well, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. I wasn't sure
you'll. Understand about 15 of the jokes that went right over your head better once you read the first. Three books.

[00:06:10] Toni Kirkland
Somebody picks up the fourth book and they're like, Oh, I love this. I'm going to read the first one. Oh, so that's what they meant.

[00:06:17] A.K. Landow
That's right.

[00:06:20] Toni Kirkland
So you are a non-practicing attorney.

[00:06:24] A.K. Landow
That's how I. Recovering attorney. That's how I describe myself.

[00:06:29] A.K. Landow
No, I practice for years. I stopped a couple of years ago, and I have three daughters of my own. I actually do a lot of coaching. I'm a
former college athlete myself, so I coach my own daughters, one of which is also a college athlete. I spent some time on that and
then I. Just. Really locked into the writing in the last year and I just fell in love with it. It's so fun. Know the unexpected thing about this
has been the author community. They're so nice and supportive of one another. I have two authors that I text with. We have a group
chat that we probably have. 30 texts a day back and forth, and it's so collaborative and helpful. They'll send me scenes. What do you
think I should do differently? I'll send them scenes. That's actually been the most surprising thing about this entire journey is the
author community.

[00:07:30] Toni Kirkland
That is definitely one of the things that got me hooked into all of this is the support that authors give to other authors.

[00:07:40] A.K. Landow
It's amazing. It's very unexpected. I had no. Idea. But I honestly consider them amongst my closest friends at this point. Some people
and I love their books. It's fun. It's really fun to support each other and read earlier drafts and kind of watch it come to fruition for each
other.It's fun.
[00:07:59] Toni Kirkland
It's very fun. I speak from experience on that because I was an author. I published my first book in 2012, which put me in the
community, and then I was like, I want to support people. So here we are.

[00:08:13] A.K. Landow
That's great. No, it's it's phenomenal.

[00:08:16] Toni Kirkland
Do you think being having the attorney background comes out in your writing in any way?

[00:08:25] A.K. Landow
When I get a little technical, I know to check myself. One of Swan's first bits of advice, especially for your first book, is to write what
you know. Don't try to write something that you know nothing about for your first book. You're going to be very raw. Keep certain
things simple. So the female main character is an attorney. She has three daughters. Which. Is also what I have. So I know I did try to
to to listen to her advice in that regard. And, you know, keep it close to home. Certain things, not everything. Try to explain that to any
friends who read the book. It's fiction. But yeah, no, it's I, I did a lot of writing as a lawyer, but it's very different writing. So there are
certain aspects that help. I think that I at least understand grammar, some.

[00:09:25] A.K. Landow
In some. Ways, which honestly is is half the battle at times in these books. Although I find myself constantly learning new grammar
tidbits from my editor on my Oh. I didn't. Realize. That. I didn't realize, you know, when you're talking about a female blonde, it's an E
and a male blonde. There's no I did not know that. So there's always small little things. And then it's great because then I can I can my
other author friends, when they send me something, I impart that knowledge to them and they're like, Oh, I didn't know that. I said, I
didn't either. That's straight from my editor. I had no.Idea.

[00:10:02] Toni Kirkland
Editors are my best friend.

[00:10:05] A.K. Landow
I don't think I had a appreciation for it until a few books in because I, you know, I, I definitely spent more on editing as my books
progressed because I see the value more and now I'm all in. It's important. No matter how many times you read your own book, you
just become blind to it. Certain things. It amazes me that I could read it 200 times and miss something so obvious, but that absolutely
happens.

[00:10:31] Toni Kirkland
I feel like as authors we are so into the story that we know what we were going to say, that sometimes our brain puts or takes out
words.

[00:10:42] A.K. Landow
Yes, when I see a comment from my or just a small correction for my editor, right? Like how did I miss that? I read that line hundreds,
maybe 1000 times, and I completely missed that. The verb wasn't in there or something obvious. But you know, it's it's so valuable to
have several pairs of eyes on it and to take your time. With it. Put it down for a few days, then come back to it. I found that I've
learned that that's actually helpful.

[00:11:14] Toni Kirkland
I've gotten to where I won't reread my novels that I've published because I'm always finding something.

[00:11:21] A.K. Landow
Yes, once they're published, it's I actually find it difficult to read, but until they're published as many times as possible. But once
they're published and I've grown as a writer throughout my book, so now I read the first book. I'm like, Oh gosh, cringe, cringe. I
should have worked that differently. In each book,

[00:11:43] Toni Kirkland
But that's awesome because you're noticing your growth. So that's progress.

[00:11:47] A.K. Landow
And a lot of my ARC readers made comments about that with this fourth book. They're like, your you're writing. Has just. Really,
really blossomed. It's and it's only been a it's been less than a year but you learn I tell you improve yourself. You know I try to
challenge myself and put myself out of my comfort zone with something different in each book, because that's really how you. Grow
and. That's what I've done. I tapped into some social issues or yes, they're spicy romcoms, but I really do actually also try to tap into a
few social issues in each book. Be it sexism, workplace harassment, things like that. Just constantly pushing myself. The trope in my
third book, which is a reverse age gap. Was. Super uncomfortable for me as a writer because that's not something I actually
personally would be into, but that's why I did it just to challenge myself.

[00:12:49] Toni Kirkland
So going back to your book one of the series nights, it won a book award. How did it feel to have your book win an award? Well, it
won second place, but yes, to win an award.

[00:13:06] A.K. Landow
It's amazing. Truly amazing. You know, I'm happy people enjoy the story. I think that one in particular is so unique because of the
ages of the characters. I it felt. Fantastic to be recognized. At the end of the day. I'm actually having a great time making people
laugh. I love when readers DM'd me how Oh, I just read this scene. I almost peed my pants. You know, it makes me happy to make
other people happy. So to have it recognized was fantastic. And if it if it gets it in the hands of more people and brings awareness to
it. Even better.

[00:13:47] Toni Kirkland
So your books are based in Philadelphia. Are you native to Pennsylvania yourself?

[00:13:56] A.K. Landow
I live in I live outside the Philadelphia area. Now, it's not where I originally grew up, but I've been here. For. Nearly 30 years. So, yes, I
mean, in Philadelphia is known as the City of Brotherly Love, which is where my series title came from, the City of Sisterly Love. Just
a play on that. But yes, I live near Philadelphia.

[00:14:17] Toni Kirkland
I love play on words.

[00:14:20] A.K. Landow
I Try to for the Philadelphia and South Jersey locals, I do try to throw in a few references here and there that I know that only they'll
get. You know, they don't, which is was not the case where I grew up. But here you don't call the beach. The beach, you call it the
shore. And they're very particular about that. So I have funny small conversations in the. Books that. Only native Philadelphians will
understand, but they all message me. They're like, Oh, I saw that. I was. Laughing. Nobody ever understands that. We don't call it the
beach.

[00:14:57] Toni Kirkland
I think that's great. I think it's really important that if you're going to put something in a specific area, then you bring the culture of that
area.

[00:15:09] A.K. Landow
Certainly, there's definitely each book has various references to things in Philadelphia.

[00:15:15] Toni Kirkland
So I am outside of Atlanta and it is cold down here. So it has to be cold up there.

[00:15:22] A.K. Landow
Yes. My my middle daughter, who has never driven in the snow before, called when she was driving her and my youngest daughter
to school this morning. She's like, I've never driven in snow or something. I should know something maybe you should have asked
me before you left, but go slow. Break earlier than you think you need to. But yeah, we have a little bit of snow today. It's heading to
warm weather next week, though. Heading out of town for the holiday. So be happier for the warm weather. I don't love the cold.

[00:15:57] Toni Kirkland
I'm not a cold person either. I'm like, I moved. I'm originally from North Carolina. I'm like, I moved further south to get warmer, and it's
cold.

[00:16:07] A.K. Landow
It's not often cold there, is it?

[00:16:10] Toni Kirkland
During the winter? It's not the cold that you're used to call it cold, but it's cold for down here. It's dropping into the high twenties, but
staying normally around the high thirties, low forties.

[00:16:27] A.K. Landow
As I mentioned, my well, two of my kids are athletes and we were at a tournament in Atlanta in November, and they had they were
picking the ice out of their cleats. We came to Atlanta for the warm weather in November. We could have done this at home.

[00:16:47] Toni Kirkland
November was definitely a. Atlanta didn't know what was going. What season I wanted to be because it would be freezing cold one
day and then 80 degrees the next day. I'm like, please make up your mind. Preferably warm.

[00:17:03] A.K. Landow
At least you get the 80. We don't get that in November.

[00:17:08] Toni Kirkland
So tell us a little about you specifically. What are your favorite hobbies when you're not writing?

[00:17:18] A.K. Landow
Well, it's. Become a. All an all encompassing thing right now. You know, I enjoy traveling with my husband. I enjoy I enjoy softball.
That's what I played. That's what two of my daughters play. It's actually extremely time consuming, playing at the club level. We travel
all over the country in the fall and in the summer, and then I find myself watching it when we're not when we're not playing, which is
infrequently. It's become a 50 week sport for us. I read, I still try to read. It's become it becomes very hard once you start writing one
the time for it. And two, I actually feel like it messes with your head a little bit. I don't want to subconsciously use something that's not
my original idea. I just I find it very hard to toggle back and forth. I only allow myself to read when I'm between my own drafts, and at
this point it's really only for author friends trying to help them out. And I do what other normal women in their forties do. I go out with
friends. We have fun. We drink a little too much. A lot. Too much sometimes. But, you know, I exercise. I just I, I feel like I'm aging
myself to admit this, but I recently picked up pickleball. I, I, I rejected the notion for many years. But as a, as a former athlete, I'm
competitive and I actually find myself loving it. I look forward, I play a couple of times a week. Now. And it's it's fun and it's good
exercise without feeling like it's exercise.

[00:19:12] Toni Kirkland
So for anybody that doesn't know what pickleball is, can you explain it a little bit less?

[00:19:18] A.K. Landow
Pickleball is like it's like you combine ping pong and tennis. It's like you're in an oversized ping pong court that you stand in. It's about
half the size of a tennis. Court. And it's a paddle game. With. A hollow. Ball. And your runner. I look when I look down and see my
heart rates over 180, I'm very happy. And the calorie burn, I'm very. Happy with it. And it's fun. Like I said, I'm a generally competitive
person. So it kind of it's better for me than an exercise class.

[00:19:59] Toni Kirkland
Yes. And if you're enjoying it, you're going to do it more?

[00:20:02] A.K. Landow
Yep. Absolutely.

[00:20:05] Toni Kirkland
I did a kickboxing class recently and it kicked my butt. But I was happy I went and will go back because it was fun.

[00:20:15] A.K. Landow
Yes. I love I love the kickboxing. I used to do that a lot.

[00:20:20] Toni Kirkland
So what is a tip you would give people to enjoy and embrace their life after 40? Woo. That's a.

[00:20:31] A.K. Landow
Good. Question. My tip is don't. Why do you care? What? Don't. Don't care what other people think. Just do what makes you happy.
There's certainly a judgmental community over writing romance novels. I always encourage those people to read the books because.
It's. Not just the smutty parts. There's there's more going on. They're actually good stories. And, you know, a lot of people I used I
actually just used initials because for my kids sake, although my kids think it's the kids think it's the greatest thing on the planet and
they tell everybody anyway. So it doesn't really matter. You know, and I was much more secretive about it at the beginning. And now I
screw it. I don't care if people don't like it. Don't read it. If you're if you think it's exciting and great, then read it. I've actually two or
three of my friends who are a bit more reserved have texted me like, I think you're the most courageous person I know. I'm like, Well,
there's definitely a lot more courageous people out there than me, but I appreciate the sentiment that I just pushed myself out of my
comfort zone. I didn't care that much about what people think, and I think that comes as you mature. You just you know, you're not so
bogged down about what other people think of you. It matters what you think of yourself. This past year, I've woken up with a smile on
my face every single day, excited about what I'm doing. I can tell you I did not feel that way as a lawyer. I feel that way now as an
author because I'm having a great time. And why shouldn't I do something that makes me happy? So my advice is do what makes
you happy. Don't care what other people think about it.

[00:22:25] Toni Kirkland
I love it. If somebody came to you for advice on wanting to write their own story, what is the first step you would tell them to do?

[00:22:37] A.K. Landow
I just start. Writing. It's your first draft is going to be absolute crap. Absolute crap. But you know what? No one has to see your first
draft, but you. There's. You have to just start. We say pen to paper, but it's know keyboard strokes at this point. Just start. Just start
typing. My process has changed. I was very focused on having a thorough outline for my first book and writing the story in order, and
now I don't do that. I have a handful of ideas and I write the those scenes completely out of order as they occur to me, and then I fill
things in between. But and I, I, I know my book is ready for someone else to see it when I stop hating it. Because I hate it, hate it, hate
it, hate it, hate it. And then one day I'm like, Oh, I like this story. Ooh, I like that part. But there's you can't do anything until you, you
know. Unless you just start writing. Just start writing and it's okay. Understand? Everybody's first draft is complete crap. You're going
to repeat words. You're going to sound illiterate at certain parts. It amazed me how illiterate. But you know what? Sometimes your
mind works faster than your fingers. Just get your story down and then then you can go through. It. And make it prettier and use
different words. But you just have to actually sit down and start writing the story. And then I find once I'm into a story, I actually start
dreaming about it every night. And then I, I keep a pad and paper next to my bed and I quickly write it down or I jot it in my notes
section on my cell phone so I don't forget it. That's another problem. After 40, I forget everything. So I. Have to write everything.
Down. But you just have to say, I'm going to start writing and if it's crap, it's okay. Nobody has to see it until I'm ready for somebody
else's eyes to see it. I actually everybody says how nervous they are when their arcs go out. I actually get more nervous for my first
beta reader because that's usually the first pair of eyes really seeing the whole story. That's the day that I'm most nervous. Is that first
person seeing it? Like, are they going to think it's crap? Not crap, but, you know. Pen to paper, It's got to start somewhere. You can't
people can't read your story unless you start writing it. So I would say start writing it and it's okay if it's not perfect.

[00:25:15] Toni Kirkland
That is why it's called a first draft.

[00:25:18] A.K. Landow
That's right. First of. Many. I don't even call it a first draft until it's about changed about 100 times. Then that's my first draft.

[00:25:27] Toni Kirkland
Yes. For anybody inspiring to write a book, just know that your first draft is actually like one out of 100 drafts before you even send it
to your editor. So you're okay?

[00:25:41] A.K. Landow
Yes. And for me, I do beta before I do editing. So it's you know, it's. Many drafts. Before an editor sees. It. For my editor, for me, it
should be like, you know, I want it. I feel like I can release it. And then she tells me why I can't. I'm actually sending the fifth book to my
editor today. She said she's very excited to receive it.

[00:26:06] Toni Kirkland
And then it comes back with all these red marks on it and you're like, Why did I do this to. Myself.

[00:26:10] A.K. Landow
When I get through a whole page without red marks, I feel so accomplished.

[00:26:16] Toni Kirkland
That's amazing.

[00:26:17] A.K. Landow
I'll actually text my author friends, I don't mean to brag, but I got one page without any red marks.

[00:26:24] Toni Kirkland
What is your biggest goal for 2023? It can be personal or professional. Well.

[00:26:35] A.K. Landow
Now my biggest goal, I'll stick with professional. You know, after I finish a book, I always feel like I wonder if I have any more books
left in me. I have that instant fear and I am going to actually end this series, which breaks my heart. Although I feel these characters
will appear in every book I write. So my goal is to is to try something new, take things in a different direction, and continue to
challenge myself. You know, there are certain tropes that I don't think I'll ever dive into. I tried it. I'm not. While I'll read some violence,
I don't like to particularly don't enjoy writing about violence. I don't want that occupying my headspace all night. But just to continue to
push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things, I think that is how you better yourself as a person. So those are those. Are
generally my goals in life in every. Regard.

[00:27:41] Toni Kirkland
I like it. That's what I do is definitely push my comfort zone more and more each. Each day. Almost.

[00:27:49] A.K. Landow
Yep. You're not bettering yourself as a person if you stick with what's comfortable. You. I try to tell that to my girls as well. Try new
things. It's okay if you fail. It's part of the process. I also come to understand in this in that more books are not widely successful than
are, and sometimes there's not actually a rhyme or reason for that. There are some great books that go on read. There are some less
than great books that are wildly popular. I understand that it's a little bit of a crapshoot. It's a little bit of a game. I didn't understand the
social media aspect of it at first. I didn't even open author accounts until the day my first book was released, which was looking back
silly. I didn't understand that aspect of it. I just thought, Oh, you write a good story. People will read it, but there's more to it than that.
And I'm learning. Always learning.

[00:28:46] Toni Kirkland
Yes. I will probably learn the day I up to the time I die.

[00:28:51] A.K. Landow
But we should be.

[00:28:54] Toni Kirkland
On that learning aspect. What is one piece of advice you would give a new author?

[00:29:02] A.K. Landow
Hmm. Besides, to sit down and write. Just write. I would. Say I don't. Care what other people think. If you're proud of your product.
It's. It's a good product if you're happy for people to read it. It's a good product. Don't you know, don't get crazy. Everybody gets bad.
Reviews. You know. You can't make everybody happy all the time. You're not tacos, you know that. Understand that. That. You
know, there will always be those who are not in favor of what you're doing. And that's okay. It's okay. If you're making yourself happy
doing it, then keep doing it.

[00:29:51] Toni Kirkland
I do love tacos.

[00:29:55] A.K. Landow
Everybody. How can you not like tacos?

[00:29:58] Toni Kirkland
This is true. I don't know if I've ever met anybody who does not like tacos.

[00:30:02] A.K. Landow
Right. Make everybody happy.

[00:30:07] Toni Kirkland
Okay. As we wrap up, what is a quote that you live by?

[00:30:16] A.K. Landow
It's actually a Wayne Gretzky quote. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So keep firing away. If you don't, then you have no
chance at succeeding. I'd rather operate at 50% than not even try and be at 0%. So you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

[00:30:39] Toni Kirkland
I love that. That's a great one.

[00:30:42] A.K. Landow
Although I should say the the the bottom of the dedication of each of my books has a girl power quote. So I potentially should have
used one of those. But I'll leave that to readers. They can check out the dedications in each of my books. They always have a girl
power quote at the bottom, and I'm always on the lookout for more. So if anybody's got any good ones, feel free to send them my
way.

[00:31:04] Toni Kirkland
Yes. Girl power.

[00:31:06] A.K. Landow
That's right.

[00:31:09] A.K. Landow
You know, and it's funny, I initially did that because of what Swann did. That was my first book was, of course, dedicated in large part
to her. And then I wanted something about the first book. Quote is something about a glowing woman can still stay lit when she helps
other women glow. It's a long that's that's not the exact wording, but it's along those lines. But and because I ended up writing about
women who keep each other afloat, in fact, I always when I welcome new ARC members, I always tell them that the rising tide raises
all ships so everybody, everybody can rise. But I so I have ended up staying with that and keeping a girl power quote in each book.
And actually people tell me how much they look forward to seeing which quote I'm going to use. So it's become fun.

[00:32:04] Toni Kirkland
But also, I agree it's community over competition.

[00:32:09] A.K. Landow
Yeah. We can all be successful. There's not a limited amount of success.

[00:32:15] Toni Kirkland
Well, I think that wraps up our time for today, but I've definitely enjoyed talking to you and learning more about you and learning
about your books.

[00:32:24] A.K. Landow
Well, thanks for having me.

[00:32:26] Toni Kirkland
And I look forward to February when the fifth one comes out.

[00:32:32] A.K. Landow
Yep, I'm excited for that one. I go back to it. I'm going back to an older couple to finish out the series. So that makes me that warms
my heart.

[00:32:41] Toni Kirkland
It's like you did a whole little circle.

[00:32:43] A.K. Landow
Whole circle. That's right.

[00:32:45] Toni Kirkland
That's awesome. I love it. And for our readers, you can learn more about other gems like the Sisters, the City of Sisterly Love series
in our magazine and on our blog. So we would love for you to follow us, and I hope everybody enjoys their readings for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment